The continued use of towels to dry yourself after each shower, hand or face washing and in many other situations at home, ends up leading to excess humidity, causing a bad smell in the fabric. For towels to be durable, they should be cared for and treated in the best possible way.
In this sense, it is essential to know why towels smell bad and find the best solutions. Without knowing the basis of the problem, it is impossible to act effectively. If you continue washing them as before, the unpleasant aroma caused by moisture will continue to be produced. To discover how to get a sour smell out of towels with different products, we recommend that you continue reading this article.
How to get a sour smell out of towels?
The smell of mold on towels is due to their great ability to trap moisture. Many bath towels are made of cotton, which manages to absorb it in quantity. For this reason, they can cause a bad smell of humidity and mold, since they are very effective for drying you after showering, having as a counterpart the disadvantage of the aroma if after use you do not dry them well. Other reasons for the bad smell in towels are the following:
- Constant exposure to the humid environment of the bathroom and to water when we dry ourselves.
- Incorrect drying of towels. After each use, it should be done, laying them out in the sun or spreading them on a heated towel rail or radiator.
- Hang the towels at the back of the bathroom door, as humidity is concentrated due to the little air that runs between this part of the door and the wall.
How to remove the sour smell from towels with baking soda?
Baking soda is one of the most widely used home cleaning remedies for its great effectiveness. It also eliminates the sour smell of towels because it manages to eliminate bacteria and fungi or mold caused by excess humidity. Learn how to use baking soda to wash towels by following these steps:
- Add a cup of baking soda to a container full of warm water.
- Stir the mixture so that the baking soda begins to dissolve.
- Dip the towel in the baking soda water and let it soak for 20 minutes.
- After this time, you should rinse the towel with clean water.
- Dry the towel in the open air, taking advantage of the sunny hours.
- If the towel contains stains that are difficult to remove, apply the baking soda directly by rubbing the affected areas before dipping it into the baking soda water.
- Finally, you can optionally put the towel in the washing machine and run a normal cycle to make sure and completely remove the unpleasant aroma of humidity, as long as you dry it well in the dryer or full sun for as long as you need.
Read more: Why fridge smells like dead animal?
How to remove the sour smell from bath towels with vinegar
Washing towels with vinegar to remove the sour smell is a great alternative. This product has the power to neutralize bad aromas and fight bacteria and fungi formed by excess moisture. If you want to wash the towels with vinegar and baking soda in a washing machine, do it this way:
- Put the towels affected by the sour smell in the washing machine.
- Start the wash cycle and stop after a few minutes.
- Add a cup of hot water, baking soda and white vinegar mixture to the washing machine.
- Let the towels soak for 15 minutes to remove the odor.
- Start the wash again for the washer cycle to complete.
- If you have apple cider vinegar, you can also use it with your favorite fabric softener to get the best cleaning scent. The vinegar will enhance and improve the smell of the fabric softener. If you were wondering how to perfume your towels, this is an easy and effective way.
How to remove sour odor from towels with ammonia
To finish telling you how to remove the bad smell of humidity from towels, we recommend using ammonia. Despite the necessary precautions for use due to the corrosive power it contains, washing towels with ammonia to remove the sour smell is another effective option. You just need to wear gloves to prevent possible damage and follow these steps if you want to learn how to remove the sour smell from towels with ammonia:
- Mix soap with diluted ammonia and add it to a bowl of water.
- If you are dealing with very large towels, opt to make the mixture in the bathtub.
- Let the towels soak for several minutes.
- Finally, put them in the washing machine and program a normal cycle to be completely clean, without bad smells, loose and fluffy.
Tips to avoid the sour smell of towels
Do not leave towels in the laundry basket. Try to wash them as soon as possible, since if you mix them with these clothes, you will probably worsen the aroma they give off because they have moisture or already have mold.
Store towels neatly folded and dry. Ensure that the closet is not a source of humidity by placing small bags of coffee, salt or rice to absorb them.
Change towels frequently. Do not prolong its use too much between washings.
Ventilate the bathroom to prevent too much moisture from collecting and damaging the fabric.
Dry the towels lying in the sun for as long as possible and if there is not enough sun in your area, use a dryer, but avoid storing them with a point of humidity because the problem of mold and its bad smell will appear.